Marjan Schwegman (1951) read History at the University of Amsterdam. She was Head Lecturer in History at Leiden University, the University of Amsterdam, Maastricht University and Utrecht University. At the last university she held an Endowed Professorship in Women's History (1997-2007) and since 2007 she has been holding the Chair of Politics and Culture in the extended 20th century. Since 2003 her main job has no longer been at the university: from 2003 to 2007 she was Director of the Royal Netherlands Institute in Rome and between 2007 and 2016 she was appointed Director of NIOD.
As Director of NIOD she had the final responsibility for all the Institute's activities. In addition, she regularly occupies additional roles. For example, from 2009-2010 she was the Deputy Chair of the Davids Commission Inquiry into the Dutch involvement in the 2003 Iraq war. Since 2012 she had been chairing the national visitation commission History, International Relations and European Studies 2012-2013. She is also a member of the international jury which awards the yearly Balzan Prizes, worth around 800,000 euros each, to four excellent academics.
Her research focuses on ‘gender, war and nation-forming’ with a special interest in the theme of the ‘fighting woman’: she has published a study into the role of women in the Dutch Resistance movement and is currently studying female bandits in Southern Italy. Heroism is another theme that is often addressed in Schwegman's work: in 2008 she gave a provocative Van der Lubbe lecture, in which she advocated a new approach to the historiography of Resistance heroes and heroines. In her research, Schwegman often takes a biographical approach: she has written articles about Giuseppe Garibaldi, Cesare Lombroso, Giuseppe Mazzini and Anita Garibaldi. She also dedicated a complete biography to the Italian author Gualberta Beccari and to educator Maria Montessori.
- 2007-2016: Endowed Professorship in Women's History, the Chair of Politics and Culture in the extended 20th century, Utrecht University
Other professional positions:
- 2012-2013: Chairman national visitation commission History, International Relations and European Studies 2012-2013
- 2012-present: Member International Jury Balzan Prizes
- 1999-2007: Endowed Professorship in Women's History
- 1993-1999: Lecturer department of History, Maastricht University
- 1990-1993: Lecturer department of New and Theoretical History, University of Amsterdam
- 1979-1990: Lecturer department of History, Leiden University